A Whole New Mind by Dan Pink is centered around a thesis that claims we are entering a new age of commerce, living, and learning. Pink sees three forces driving the Western World in this direction: Abundance, Asia, and Automation. Also author of Drive: The Surprising Science of Motivation, states that there are six critical competencies required for this new era:
1. Design—not just a function but also DESIGN
2. Story—not just an argument but also a STORY
3. Symphony—not just focus but also SYMPHONY
4. Empathy—not just logic but also EMPATHY
5. Play—not just seriousness but also PLAY
6. Meaning—not just accumulation but also MEANING
New areas of interest for me to focus on in my lesson planning.